The Apple App Store has over 1.96 million apps available for download. The number is quite staggering and fair as iPhones support most apps that people want to use, play well with other Apple products, are easier to resell than androids, and are more secure than Android phones. Since people already love to use iPhones, developing and launching iOS apps is a lucrative venture. However, since many have ventured into iOS app development, creating a stellar app might be difficult. Therefore, you need to hire the best iOS developers to survive the competition. Here we help you know how to hire competent iOS developers for your project. So stick around and read the iOS developers hiring guide.
What are the misconceptions regarding iOS app development?
Numerous misconceptions regarding iOS app development abound, which perplexes business owners. Thus, it leaves them doubtful about iOS app development. We list them below to help you know that these are mere misconceptions:
1. Size of the app
A few business owners are under the impression that the regular size of the iOS app is too large to provide the right user experience. And then comes that group that believes that the App Store does not accept smaller apps. Contrary to what these two sections of business owners believe, there is no restriction on the minimum size of your app. However, your iOS app package’s size should not exceed 4GB.
2. Not having enough widgets
Some believe that the iOS mobile and web applications do not let one embed enough app widgets. However, Apple has embraced the idea of customizable widgets for building enthralling home screen themes, wallpapers, icons, etc. Besides it, users can now also incorporate functionalities such as Siri integration with widgets.
3. Limited user space
Another misconception that business owners have is that users have limited space. However, users using iOS 11 or later can manage the issue by deleting the apps they no longer need or use. Thus, this misconception should not discourage business owners from developing iOS apps.
4. No guarantee of the app getting published
You only need to ensure that your iOS app abides by all the Apple Store’s guidelines regarding iOS app development. If your app follows all the guidelines and is a perfect cutout for providing safe experiences for users, then your app will get published. Thus, your iOS developers should understand iOS app development completely.
iOS Developers Hiring Guide
Roles and Responsibilities of iOS Developers
We briefly mention the three types of iOS developers below to help you know what they are precisely.
#1: Junior iOS Developers
The entry-level iOS developers come under this category and need to work with more experienced iOS developers to improve their knowledge and skills. These iOS developers start working on less complicated tasks and should become mid-level iOS developers in a year or less. Also, these iOS developers have experience of fewer than two years.
#2: Middle-level iOS Developers
Middle-level iOS developers have experience between 2 to 5 years and can perform simple and advanced jobs/ tasks. If you want to hire middle-level iOS developers, you will not need to spend time on their mentorship. Apart from working on tasks independently, they can also easily guide junior staff members.
#3: Senior iOS Developers
These iOS developers have experience developing successful iOS apps and have a wide range of skills. Therefore, if you want to build a complex app, it will be better to hire senior iOS developers with experience of more than five years. These iOS developers can perform the following things:
- Efficiently managing the business process
- Conducting API integration
- Leading product testing
- Participating in market research
Skill set of iOS Developers
Every business and organization should test their candidates’ hard and soft skills. These skills help you determine how well they will perform and how cooperative they will be. Your iOS developers should be conversant with Swift and Objective C. You might ask why these two languages. We tell you why below:
Benefits of using Swift
- Swift programs are highly readable.
- Swift reduces the coding effort as it has numerous advanced operators.
- Thanks to Swift’s advanced features, your code does not have common coding errors.
- Since Apple prefers Swift, using Swift for iOS app development guarantees that you get better App Store Optimization (ASO).
Benefits of using Objective C
- Objective C possesses powerful extensions, thus the most suitable for object-oriented programming.
- It happens to be the mainstay of Cocoa programming, and Apple uses it profusely.
- It renders you a greater perk if your project is a native iOS development one.
Other things that your iOS developers should know are:
- APIs such as UIKit, Cocoa Touch, etc.
- Core Data Framework
- Complete comprehension of Human Interface Guidelines
Essential soft skills for iOS app developers
Besides hard skills, your iOS developers should also teem with soft skills. We list the important ones for you below:
1. Communication skills
iOS developers should be good orators and raise concerns over decisions in time. If your iOS developers are not good at communicating things, they might refrain from speaking and sharing the ideas properly. Therefore, checking their verbal and written communication skills is crucial. You can test both skills with oral and written tests. A good communicator can prepare flawlessly smooth reports and files.
2. Time-Management skills
Time-management skills are significant as every team has a deadline before which they must produce their work. If your iOS developers have weak time-management skills, the chances are that they will not be able to finish work before the deadlines. However, a good and sincere iOS developer has this skill and can determine the correct timeline after discussing the project with everyone involved. Only those with solid time-management skills can predict the duration of a project after gathering data and information from other team members.
Any project requires teamwork that is a successful collaboration with different members. Thus, iOS developers who know that the team comes first can handle the project aptly. The reason for it is that they know that every opinion and idea matters. Moreover, they are quick to resolve disputes as and when they arise.
4. Interpersonal skills
iOS developers with good interpersonal skills know how to build the proper tolerance among teammates, use appropriate humor when working together and show empathy during difficulties.
5. Leadership skills
To hire iOS developers who can lead the team, you should look for leadership skills. Those with leadership skills take responsibility for their actions and initiate new projects. Besides taking initiatives, they also uplift and guide team members during the bad/ unsuccessful development phase.
These are the soft and hard skills that you should look for in iOS developers. Let us now read how you can hire iOS developers online.
How do I hire a dedicated iOS developer team online?
The three ways in which you can hire iOS developers are as follows:
- Hire freelance iOS developers
- Have an in-house development team
- Hire an outsourcing iOS app development.
Hire Freelance iOS Developers
When looking for remote iOS developers, you should employ only credible platforms. Some of such platforms are as follows:
To hire freelance iOS developers, you require in-house project managers to interact with remote candidates directly. You should know that such iOS developers participate in online meetings only at crucial junctures during your iOS app development.
Pros of Freelancer iOS Developers
- It lets business owners select the best iOS developers from the global pool.
- Freelance iOS developers are more affordable than an in-house team. They also do not require a physical workplace.
- Hiring freelancer iOS developers might land you with iOS developers having rare expertise and experience.
- Such iOS developers are paid hourly, so you do not have to pay them when there is no work.
- Your HR department does not require legal documentation or other related paperwork while hiring freelance iOS developers.
Cons of freelancer iOS developers
- There might be instances when iOS developers miss deadlines as there is no supervision.
- Your project’s security is constantly under threat.
- There is an absence of credibility in such an arrangement. One day they are there, and the other, they might disappear and never return.
- Time zone differences, cultural differences, and language barriers affect your project.
- These iOS developers are likely to switch projects mid-way if they get bored.
- You can not expect 100 percent commitment from them as they work on multiple projects.
Hire an in-house iOS development team
You can hire an in-house iOS development team if you constantly need them for your projects. The main benefit of an in-house iOS development team is that communication in this scenario is excellent as everyone is under the same roof.
Pros of an in-house iOS development team
- These people have time to examine the product and become experts in the field.
- They are easy to manage and flexible.
- In this case, senior and junior developers can work together, and sharing information becomes easier.
- These employees get the chance to work together throughout the day and the app development process.
Cons of an in-house iOS development team
- You must give them salaries even when you do not assign them tasks.
- You will have to pay for taxes, office rents, software systems, hardware, etc.,
- You will need to accommodate sick leaves, vacations, and other given perks.
- Hiring an in-house iOS development team is a bit hard as the smaller talent pool.
Hire an outsourcing iOS app development
If you want to hire iOS developers and want the process to be the best, fastest, and most economical, you can outsource iOS app development. There are two ways to hire an outsourcing iOS app development.
- Dedicated team
Pros of Hiring an outsourcing iOS app development
- It is the best method if you urgently want to hire iOS developers with skills and expertise.
- You need not worry about organizational issues as the project manager solves everything.
- It is more affordable than hiring in-house iOS developers.
- An outsourcing app development company constantly interacts with clients and keeps them on the same page throughout the process.
- They finish the app development quickly, and you receive end-to-end products in less time.
- A leading iOS app development company has high professional standards and credible client feedback.
- You can expand or contract the iOS app development company per your project requirements.
Cons of Hiring an outsourcing iOS app development
- You might face issues because of a language barrier or cultural gap.
- There might be communication delays if they are from a different time zone.
Steps to hire a dedicated iOS developer team online?
1. Understand the role
To hire iOS developers, you should first be clear about the whole role and your demands. Please get in touch with hiring managers and prepare everything about the skills required, job description, and job offer.
2. Source Applicants
Once you get clarity on the role, prepare a list of skills on which you will test your candidates.
3. Skill Assessment
Conduct tests and find which candidates have the desired skills. Prepare a list and jump to the next step.
Interview those who exceed or meet your expectations, and then focus on what you want to know, whether they have or not.
Once you meet the required iOS developers, fix a package and other perks to help you retain them.
How much does it cost to hire iOS Developers?
iOS Developer Salary in United States: $60,000 – $134,000 (USD)
iOS Developer Salary in United Kingdom: £37,000 and £88,000 (GBP
iOS Developer Salary in Australia: $67,000 – $131,000 (AUD).
You can select the way of hiring iOS developers based on your requirements. However, hiring iOS developers might delay the inception of your project. The best thing in such a scenario is to hire the ones you know are competent to help your vision become a reality. One such company that can aid you is AppsRhino. Our proficient iOS developers are friendly and always meet the clients’ expectations. Contact us today to launch the next best iOS app.